Make adorable popcorn balls that don't just look great, but taste fabulous as well. These popcorn eggs make the perfect Easter treat, and kids will love to form the balls.
We made these Easter eggs with Marsden and Bathe Flavorssuch ashuckleberry, green apple, apricot,cherry, blueberry, and root beer. Experimenting with flavors is half the fun.
We then used Americolor food coloring gels to make our Easter eggs bright and festive. These colors are nine times more concentrated than liquid food gels and they come in 27 colors, so you can make endless varieties.
How to make candy popcorn:
3/4 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup white corn syrup (Karo)
1/4 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons desired flavor
3-4 drops of Americolor food coloring gel or equal
- Pop the popcorn kernels with a popcorn popper. Set aside in 2 large bowls.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the corn syrup and water. Stir.
- Add theMake sure not to let any sugar stick to the edges of the pan. If one grain of sugar is left un-dissolved, it can cause the whole batch to crystallize.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 235-245 degrees. (Please use a candy thermometer). It is important for the mixture to reach this temperature, if it doesn’t the candy will not harden properly.
- Add the baking soda and stir quickly as the mixture begins to bubble. Once bubbly and frothy, remove the pan from heat.
- Add the flavor and food coloring until mixed in.
- Pour over the popped popcorn in both bowls. Fold into the popcorn until evenly coated.
- Once the popcorn has cooled slightly, take a handful and squeeze it in your hands to form an egg shape.
Tip: If you plan on making several different flavors/colors of popcorn do them all in separate batches. If you were to separate the mixture after cooking a large batch and add color/flavor to each, the mixture will have cooled too much and you will not achieve the right temperature for making candy popcorn.
Dennis Weaver is the founder of The Prepared Pantry. He is the author of How to Bake, a 250 page book about the art and science of baking. You can download a free copy of How to Bake here.